Roman invasion of Britain Campaign Game 4; 2nd attack on London

Post your Battle Reports here
Paul K

Roman invasion of Britain Campaign Game 4; 2nd attack on London

Post by Paul K »

This scenario was the second attack towards London and was a follow on from campaign game 3 in which the Romans after a very hard struggle finally managed to break-up the British force. Tony’s campaign map indicates Roman control south of the Thames river, but to advance further north London must be taken from the British. Otherwise, the Roman supply lines would always be threatened from London and the east if a further northern advance is instigated.
tonys hexon map of england.jpg
IMG_3143.JPG
In this game the terrain presented a more linear obstacle for the Romans to assault. An 8 hex escarpment restricted the deployment area of Romans on the left and they faced a built-up area and a 4 hex wood to their front. This terrain configuration provided a strong defensive position for the Brits but they would still have to withstand the assault of the Roman legionary line.
IMG_3145.JPG
Tim and Tony set their defence line of British warriors and fanatics directly behind the built-up area bridging across to the 2 areas of woodland on either flank. Tony took command of the British chariots, light cavalry and skirmishers, which were massed together facing the Roman left and the 8 hex escarpment. My Romans would have to secure both flanks before any direct attack on the centre could have any chance of success. And so, I massed my Roman cavalry and auxiliary spear units ready for what was in many ways a sacrificial attack on the Tony’s mobile missile units. At the same time 2 legionary units and 2 auxiliary spear units were allotted the task of capturing and holding the wood on the Roman right against Tim’s warriors and fanatics.
IMG_3147.JPG
Advancing in column formation the Roman line advanced as quickly as possible across the width of the table. Tony, in response wasted no time in sending his light chariots, skirmishers and javelin armed British cavalry against the left wing of this advancing line causing early casualties to the Roman auxiliaries. The realisation that the Romans lacked sufficient numbers of cavalry to deliver an effective charge against these Brits who could evade from contact forced me to bring the 3 units of Roman auxiliary archers across from the centre in support.
IMG_3150.JPG
The 2 units of Roman field ballista had set up to exercise some control of the ground between the built-up area and the wood which was now fully occupied by Tim’s warriors. The units of British slingers stayed back just out of range of these which kept them out of the battle long enough for the legionary shield wall to advance another hex forward.
IMG_3151.JPG
At this point of the game, I was faced with a straight choice; I could hold my current position and hope the masses of British warriors would charge from the wood and built-up area, or alternatively, try and fulfil the Roman strategic imperative of advancing and occupying London. In all honesty, I couldn’t see any reason why the defending Brits would advance and attack the very strong Roman line. So, I set out to attack and advance in the centre in the hope that both flanks would at least hold their ground and help the strategic objective be achieved.
IMG_3152.JPG
The next 2 rounds of missile shooting, and hand-to-hand combat were extremely bloody for both sides. The Roman legionary units used their pilum to mixed effect – the woods and built-up areas offering greater protection than the open ground between. The left of the Roman legionary line was soon broken up as Tony’s light units still outflanked the Romans on the left. On the other flank the Romans had greater success despatching and fleeing a number of British warrior hordes and gaining temporary control of the woodland.
IMG_3153.JPG
Despite inflicting local defeats on the British warriors, the gaps were soon filled with reserve units from behind and an increasing number of legionary units were becoming isolated and destroyed as the Roman shield wall was broken apart.
IMG_3157.JPG
Tim sent his fanatics into what became an all or nothing fight on the left of the Roman line. In this very bloody fight for the wood circumstances dictated that to win or lose the entire wing depended on the roll of the dice, as 2 remaining generals and their units faced off against each other. Tim rolled a 12 with 2D6 combat dice! This resulted in the loss of the second Roman general of the game and the defeat of the Roman right wing. The centre was a very bloody stalemate and the Brits had all but defeated the Roman left wing which had now adopted a defensive position with the Roman auxiliary archers defending the hill. Their mission along with the still uncommitted Roman cavalry units would be to cover the retreat of what remained of the Roman army!
IMG_3159.JPG
Game analysis
From the out-set the strong defensive position which the British enjoyed with the line of woodland, built up area and little open ground in between was always going to be a tough nut for any Roman army to crack. To form a Roman line of defence from the right of the 8 hex escarpment was not what the Romans were there to do. The Romans strategic objective – to attack and gain the ground and then occupy London was their mission. This they attempted but failed to do, and as a result suffered a major defeat, were forced to retreat and suffered significant losses.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk