Mars kallistra

Discussions about Kallistra, Kallistra Products and New Releases.
wargamer1979

Mars kallistra

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi Kallistra,

I would like to make a Mars board with kallistra Hexon tiles for game such as Steve Jackson’s 1977 release OGRE that would work well on planet mars / polar ice region / planet perhaps. I am also thinking that kallistra might work well for the forthcoming publication “On mars”. Firstly does anybody please know of any other mars hex based rule systems and where to obtain models / miniatures in the UK.

I like the desert hexes that kallistra currently make - is there a more reddish brown flock available for flocking that I could either please buy as a special purchase or flock myself using the blank brown boards? Or would spray painting the kallistra boards a red / orange colour look ok do you think?

Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Best wishes,

Graham
chopperboydan

Re: Mars kallistra

Post by chopperboydan »

I have sprayed the brown tiles before with good results when making my Hoth Ice planet board. I think a red/ earth colour with some craters and mountains would be ideal :)
"USUTHU!"
chopperboydan

Post by chopperboydan »

I'd cover the tiles in a sand first though to give a rough texture , you don't want a smooth surface for mars ;)
"USUTHU!"
Norm

Post by Norm »

I have put a link below to the Sci Fi page at Second Chance Games.

have a look at the High Speed Hover game, square grids (that shouldn't matter) and large vehicular counters, it may have interesting rules that would suit.

LINK
https://www.secondchancegames.com:7081/index.php/scifi
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

A couple of years back I made some experimental 'Mars' type Hexon boards for a scifi project. They are stored in the unit somewhere! I will seek them out and post some photos.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the message - look forward to seeing the photos.

Best wishes,

Graham
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

It's taken me a short while to locate the martian type Hexon boards in the unit - the boxes weren't labelled!

I started with the desert flock then added red followed by a grey/brown flock to random areas of the board. I then covered the boards with a very light beige flock leaving a few areas with the original desert flock to achieve the subtle effect.
Red and Grey brown over a desert flocked board
Red and Grey brown over a desert flocked board
Final layer of light beige flock applied over most of the board leaving a few desert patches.
Final layer of light beige flock applied over most of the board leaving a few desert patches.
1st and second stages of flocking side by side
1st and second stages of flocking side by side
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the photos. I have recently bought the following red oxide dust. I could try something similar with the desert hexes.
8E61D446-8117-418A-B1C8-1B481429B137.jpeg
Best wishes,

Graham
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi folks,

Today I have been knocking up some Mars biodomes that may or may not be useful for playing the game terraforming mars.

It should at least be possible to build the board out of single tile Hexon and stack them two high so that there is a recess for the valley which can flood if Mars becomes a wetter planet.

Here are my pictures of making some Mars biodomes: I have used single desert hexes and flocked them red oxide on the exterior. On the interior I have used green noch flock and lichen in two shades.
E762E307-F0E1-40A3-A0AD-EBCE338C5771.jpeg
1B4F38FC-BDDB-4968-98EE-FCF9D9DB7934.jpeg
7D5184DA-183C-4AE4-87C8-B7872969196A.jpeg
More pictures soon hopefully,

Best wishes,

Graham
Norm

Post by Norm »

What a great idea and something really visually stand-out and different