Antietam 2016 Refight

Post your Battle Reports here
Burnside

Antietam 2016 Refight

Post by Burnside »

Hi Guys,
My best intentions were to set a project to refight various engagements of the Civil War on the actual date (s) of the battles. So far I've managed a few. The first outing for my figures was last year on the anniversary of Antietam 17th September, with a Cornfield based wargame. This year I set myself the time to have another go, this time with extended collection. Unfortunately due to other commitments the military logistics were complicated and I failed. So have a delayed report with the battle one week late!
I hope you enjoy the photos.

The battle commences with Union 1st Corps advancing from Millers Farm towards the Cornfield. Stonewall Jackson holds the ground between the Dunker Church and Mumma Farm.
Both sides exchange shot in the artillery duel, which Lee described as 'Artillery hell'.
The Union brigades and Confederates engage in a close range melee of musket volleys and bayonet charges, the casualties stack in the 'bloody cornfield'.
The Iron Brigade advance down the Hagerstown Turnpike and into the West woods and the cornfield to attempt to add impetus to the Union push forward.
Hood's crack troops, Texans, charge into action and push the beleagered Union units back, being A class troops with some high dice rolls!
The sound of the guns pounding all through the action, artillery being brought up for close range canister fire.
Alabama units check a Union attempt to push up from the East woods.
Although the Union Corps is numerically superior they fail to use the small front and mass concentration to their advantage and the Confederates hold the field.
The arrival of the fresh troops of 12th Corps would probably prove too much but my game ends before this event.
A good reinactment of the first morning of the battle events.
Ok guys that's it Burnside.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Burnside

Re: Antietam 2016 Refight

Post by Burnside »

Ok more photos.....

Burnside
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Norm

Post by Norm »

Nice. I have not been happy with my fences and like what you have done with yours, they look much more integrated with the board. Will have a go at doing something similar.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Thank you Norm.
I based the fences on strips of ply board, super glued the fence sections down (they are metal fences) then silver sand on pv glue. Painted and dry brush highlighted, same colours and technique I use for the unit bases and modelling of kallistra hexes. Finally the same flock as the hex, purchased from kallistra in bags. Hope that helps.
As the fences are on strips it's easy to set up and rigid on the battle ground.
Burnside.