Wargames in small spaces - Tiger Leader

Discussions about Kallistra, Kallistra Products and New Releases.
wargamer1979

Wargames in small spaces - Tiger Leader

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi folks

Today I have pre-ordered a copy of Tiger Leader due to be in the shops next Tuesday 16th June. Tiger leader is a WWII war game that plays solo or possibly with others as a coop. I am wondering whether adding miniatures and scenery to this game adds any value to game play.

My thoughts on the set up are:

THE BOARD
-Kallistra products - green flocked, desert flocked and white boards - it is possible to paint the plain brown ones (see my earlier post on white kallistra).
-The hex board can be built with just 4 hexon II boards per theatre considered.
-Fits into a really small space (See Norms battlefield warriors blog for other examples).

THE TERRAIN
-There are only two types of terrain used in the game - "light" trees and "heavy" buildings. For the western and eastern front I have been using kallistra's barn type buildings painted brown.
-I am thinking about making some white/cream African type buildings soon using modelling clay.
-Kallistra trees / lego trees.

THE MINIATURES
-I'm thinking of using Tide of Iron and Memoir 44 miniatures combined including the equipment pack - this should cover most of the unit types.

If anybody gives this ago or gets the opportunity to play Tiger Leader please drop a post of your experiences.

Best wishes

Graham
wargamer1979

Re: Wargames in small spaces - Tiger Leader

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi folks

Today I am posting some pictures of my first game of Tiger Leader. I am using green flocked Kallistra for a European Theatre game and quite a lot of minis from the equipment pack (Memoir 44) and a pz4 and pz3 from T of I as well as lego trees. I find this does actually get me into the mood of the game and makes it easier for me to see what pieces I have on the battlefield.

The blue disks on the battlefield indicate that the German troops have not (Moved and Fired straight away) yet - this is like one action if it is permitted (e.g. some pieces can only move one hex or fire). The disks also help me make sure I do not miss a units turn or have a units turn twice. With just the chits I found this very difficult myself and kept getting into a muddle although I'm sure there are people who are more alert than me!

The pz 4 has just destroyed a half track - thats why it does not have blue disk.

I am enjoying the game very much and it has a very nice design. Although I would like to have had more battle objectives on the battlefield than just destroy the opponent, more terrain types and more historical features that make the different theatres unique.

Here is my picture of the European battlefield built out of Kallistra, lego trees, memoir 44 and T of I pieces:
IMG_1179 (1).jpg
Here are the game components:
IMG_1178 (1).jpg
Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Best wishes

Graham
dane

Post by dane »

very nice Graham
Norm

Post by Norm »

Your Kallistra boards look more vibrant than the surprisingly muted board that comes with the game. I hadn't realised it had so many vehicles on the board at any one time.

I was at a wargame show today and Lancashire Games are selling MDF buildings that would work well for African buildings in the hex and figure scale.
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi Norm

Thanks for the post. The battle in the picture is the Germans fighting one of the largest battalion cards in the battalion deck called "large armour force". Although most battalions in the deck are comprised of quite a few units.

The hexes in Tiger Leader are combined into "4 hex pieces" and are not that brightly coloured green for the European Theatre. The game also comes with a snow set and a desert set of the "4 hex" double sided pieces.

I googled - North African Type building models made of MDF and lots of pictures came up - so I would say 2mm MDF is a popular choice for model buildings of a whole variety of kinds. Also I would imagine plywood is popular.

I had a look at the Lancashire games website but was unable to see any buildings of MDF models you saw at the show - if you have any links to MDF models please drop a post. I have seen quite a lot of pre-painted models online at 4-ground but they did not have any african ones.

Best wishes

Graham
Norm

Post by Norm »

The buildings are by laser craft, which I think Lancashire Games stock. I saw a painted set on their display and they looked really compact - suitable for Hexon. Here is a link to the company page.

http://lasercraftart.com/cube/