Gettysburg - Battlecry

Discussions about Kallistra, Kallistra Products and New Releases.
wargamer1979

Gettysburg - Battlecry

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hello everybody,

Today I'm writing a post on the American Civil war battle Gettysburg using Battlecry miniatures and rules and also Kallistra scenery.

I have searched the internet looking for scenarios and found two. The early versions of "Epic" battlecry used two standard battlecry boards and a cardboard extra (three hexes wide). This board is actually what is known in Memoir44 terms as an "Extended breakthrough board" that is 13 hexes (these are straight) by 21 hexes long.

(However the memoir extended breakthrough board is intended for games where the board is divided into three strips length ways and not into three along two of the 13 hex strips.) This is however how the early "Epic" battlecry scenario was designed. Has anybody tried playing it this way? How did you find the retreats? Also did pieces try to stay on the strips as a tactical position?

The second Gettysburg scenario I have found on the web realigns the whole scenario so that the alignment of hexes go the other way - which is much more in keeping with the command and colours system - this means retreats go back left or right and there is less spaces on the dividing lines.

The board required for this is 17 hexes (straight) by 13 hexes. I have set up the scenario this way see pictures below. It takes three box sets of battlecry to set up the scenario but you only need 6 cannons from the third set. The scenario has a corn field. Can anybody suggest ways to include a corn field? I did see one possibility on Norms battlefield warriors website which used a piece of felt/sponge like material similar to the gauze I use in my rio fish tank. The other feature I need to set up is devils den - I am thinking of trying to obtain a piece of rock or two to implement this?

Photos of the second setup:
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Best wishes

Graham
Andrea

Re: Gettysburg - Battlecry

Post by Andrea »

Interesting realization.
My compliments

Andrea
dane

Post by dane »

Hi Graham

looks good at are club we use cut up door mats for corn fields. have you thought about using the Kallistra figure range swapping 1 base for a plastic figure?

Dane
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi folks,

Yes I have had a look at the Kallistra figures for the American Civil war - they look really great and they have a nice weight to them. A Kallistra base could have 8 figures on it. You get x four bases and 32 figures in a pack - is that right? So one pack could replace one Battle Cry infantry unit.

I think they are a good thing to collect and paint over time - you would need quite a few packs for a large battle like Gettysburg - there are some really nice pictures of painted ones on the forum.

Best wishes

Graham
Norm

Post by Norm »

I am presently painting both Confederate and Union Kallistra army packs and agree that 4 bases would look good, but that two bases side by side would look more realistic and then just use casualty markers.

Years ago, I did a day one scenario for hexes based on McPhersons Ridge. As soon as I get some dismounted cavalry painted for Reynolds, I will pull it all together and post here.
dane

Post by dane »

Have you thought about using 20 x 20 bases with 4 figures on each will half the packs needed and still look like Norms said and if you want to then play say the kallistra rules you just count 2 bases as 1

Dane
wargamer1979

Post by wargamer1979 »

Hi folks

Interesting alternative to use 20mm bases and just have four figures. It would cut costs by half approx however I think I prefer having a full base with the 8 figures even if that meant either using casualty markers or simply only swapping some of the plastic figures for painted miniatures. Its probably best to just focus on a few packs at a time.

Best wishes

Graham