Solo Hastings first victim :)

Post your Battle Reports here
Gilgawath

Solo Hastings first victim :)

Post by Gilgawath »

The Saxon army sits in its defensive position on top of the hill, awaiting the invading army intent on giving them a bloody nose
1.JPG
Along came the Norman army of Leo the Impetuous who's troops march on to the field of battle, in a some what unusual formation, "I have a plan" he says
2.jpg
"attack in the flanks and shoot them on the hill"

As this was his first time I set the timer to12 turns thinking that he might need the time (Was I wrong!!)

Turn 1
As their commander ordered medium cavalry attacked each flank of the Saxon line supported by 3 groups of archers each to shoot those being attacked
3.jpg
Shooting disrupts and reduces the Saxon left, and during the Saxon turn drives off the Saxon left flank while the right grinds on
4.jpg
Gilgawath

Re: Solo Hastings first victim :)

Post by Gilgawath »

Turn 2
The Norman cavalry charges into combat against the Saxon left.
5.jpg
The Saxon left crumbles and retires to be followed by the Normal medium cavalry.
6.jpg
the rest of the line holds.
The Saxon Fyrd attempts to rush to fill the line on the hill only to run into the Marauding Norman cavalry
they are held and forced to stop
Along the main line the Norman heavy is forced to retreat disrupted and causes mass disruption through the Norman right
"That's better than disrupting the infantry behind"
Attachments
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
Gilgawath

Post by Gilgawath »

Turn 3
"Charge and get in that hole"
9.jpg
Also Leo the Impetuous commits himself to the fray (central cavalry unit) on the Saxon right a disrupted unit has been drawn down the hill and the Fyrd has filled the gap
11.jpg
The Saxon left hand fyrd forces back the cavalry in front of it while the medium cavalry is now behind the lines confrontingthe remains of the disrupted Saxon Select Fyrd from the front line
12.jpg
The centre of the line breaks
Gilgawath

Post by Gilgawath »

Turn 4
That pesky Norman cavalry behind the Saxon lines!!!! (not using command and control rules as only using 1 general per side)
14a.jpg
15.jpg
While the Saxon right looks ok what on earth happened to their left!!!!!! Thet look says "told you I had a plan"

Just before he found out how strong the troops where against him (commander)
Gilgawath

Post by Gilgawath »

Turn 4 continued.
Both Harold
17.jpg
and Leo
18.jpg
find themselves in trouble
Norm

Post by Norm »

Enjoying your battle account.

I noticed the 5 tile stack at the Anglo-Saxon edge of the table and bet that ridge looks impressive to play on. I tend to find that due to my lighting, the hill definitions gets a bit flattened in my photography and I can't get my pictures to look as dramatic as what the eye sees.

I might introduce another flock to my slopes to cause a contrast, but will tinker with some directional lighting first, unfortunately, I mainly game in a room with a glass roof, so there is a LOT of overhead light.
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Great report. I thought the Normans were doing well to stick to their plan- I often start a game with a plan which then gets thrown out the window as soon as the game starts (if only my opponents would agree to follow my plan, life would be so much easier!).
Look forward to the next installment.
Gilgawath

Post by Gilgawath »

Saxon huscarls v's disrupted Norman knights with Leo the impetuous leading boldly from the front. Only to have Leo lead them quickly to the rear (A loss by 1 more pip and Leo the impetuous would have died on the field of battle and England remain in the hands of the Saxons)
19.a.jpg
Mean while Harold had managed to to drive back the Norman hoards on his left wing
22a.jpg
Unfortunately by the end of the tunr things were not looking so good for the Saxon king as his troops crumbled around him
24.jpg
Death is only a matter of moments away while Leo manages to 'kill the wasp that caused his horse to run away!!!' just in time to claim the throne
25.jpg

Sorry for the delay in posting, and as you may see only 7 turns out of the 12 used perhaps next time I wont be so generous :)
Norm

Post by Norm »

Thanks, a true last stand!

Makes me want to get on with painting my Hasting's forces which are less than a quarter done.