The Battle of Long Ridge- Orcs versus High Elves

Post your Battle Reports here
Ratty

Re: The Battle of Long Ridge- Orcs versus High Elves

Post by Ratty »

The attack up the ridge was led as ever by the figure head of the elven army, the ninja elf general and his renowned cavalry. The Treemen helped to finish off a unit of orc archers, whilst an assault on the farmstead was driven off, and saw the orc archers follow them down the slope.
The elves establish a strong presence on the ridge
The elves establish a strong presence on the ridge
Mark decided it was time for the giants near to the river to be stopped. All elves in range attacked, but the indomitable giants resisted the initial assault, tying up a large force of elves much needed elsewhere.
The giants, in danger of being overwhelmed, somehow hold on
The giants, in danger of being overwhelmed, somehow hold on
On the other flank, the elves continued to fall, the only highlight being the elf general leading his cavalry to drive back, injure and disrupt a unit of Mountain orcs.
The elf general victorious on the elven right flank- but too late to save the fight
The elf general victorious on the elven right flank- but too late to save the fight
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

At the start of my turn, it was obvious that the battle was soon to end. The casualties on both sides had been very heavy, and there were barely any cohesive forces left.
I opened my turn by sending my units on the ridge to repel the elven attack that had just crested the ridgeline from the river. In the vicious fighting the orc archers were driven back to the farmstead. However, the main fight revolved around the elf general and his cavalry. Assaulted by giants and Mountain orcs, with the river at their back, the elves were at last pulled down. The orcs were bolstered by this turn of events and the Mountain orcs took up position of the crest of the ridge- just in time to see the bellowing demise of the orc giants on the ground below, their general fighting to the last, cut down by the encircling elves.
Overview of table
Overview of table
The orc reserves attack the elven flanking force
The orc reserves attack the elven flanking force
The elf general falls at last
The elf general falls at last
The giants are no more
The giants are no more
On the other flank, the orcs had great success in wiping out 3 units of elves as the superior orc numbers at last proved too much for the elf line. All that was now left here was the elf general with the unit of cavalry , and a unit of elf horse archers.
The orc forces prove to be too strong...
The orc forces prove to be too strong...
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

A depleted elven flank, after another punishing orc attack
A depleted elven flank, after another punishing orc attack
A tally of the casualties at the end of this round was made. The orcs were 4 stands away from breaking, the elves only 2. Mark's turn was next.

The battle was perfectly poised... a knife's edge between victory or defeat. Mark scoured the battle for anything that could give him those crucial 4 stands of orcs to gain victory. However, the heavy toll of casualties on his troops and generals, left him with very limited options.
The elf general, with the 2 units of cavalry on the right flank, charged into a unit of heavy orc chariots. The dice were rolled... the chariots were smashed! I couldn't believe that only 1 more stand was needed to rout my army.
The remaining elves, defiant to the last, on their right flank
The remaining elves, defiant to the last, on their right flank

The elves launched attacks along the ridge near to the Yoke Falls. A flurry of dice rolls and nervous calculation followed, as Mark desperately assaulted the orcs in search of that elusive vital stand... all to no avail! The orcs found a final surge of energy to hold their line, and also managed to eliminate some of the elves themselves- 2 stands worth!
The elves broke. VICTORY TO THE ORCS!
The final attack of the elves is turned back
The final attack of the elves is turned back
The aftermath of the Battle of Long Ridge
The aftermath of the Battle of Long Ridge
A pyrrhic victory? With the elves only needing 1 more stand of orcs to win themselves, you could shake hands and declare a draw, but not the orcs! This was a great and clear victory- they don't know the meaning of pyrrhic, let alone how to spell it. News of this stunning result would no doubt gather more to their banners on the march to Caerfen, site of their great defeat. Vengeance would be theirs!
Norm

Post by Norm »

The winners always get to write the history :-)

good account - enjoyed, thanks.
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Indeed they do... and I did