WOTR: Lancaster v Tudor - Game 2

Post your Battle Reports here
Paul K

WOTR: Lancaster v Tudor - Game 2

Post by Paul K »

After our very quick defeat we set this 2nd game up again with both teams choosing a more central deployment from which they could extended out left and right. The terrain layout remained unchanged. Tony, Chris, and I followed the same deployment pattern as the first game with Tony concentrating the cavalry on our right, Chris’s longbow in the middle and my billmen on the left facing the wood.

Tim and Dave used their first tactical move to advance their infantry in the centre but kept their heavy cavalry directly behind the infantry. The Tudor threat of a central heavy cavalry charge made a cautious Lancastrian advance a good policy

After my awful demonstration of poor generalship in the last game I held my infantry back and in doing so conceded control of the woodland to the advancing Tudor infantry. Chris advanced his longbow units forward but not as far as in the previous game and still out of charge range of the Tudor cavalry. Tony pushed his heavy cavalry to our extreme right flank and the Tudor cavalry stayed behind their longbow line in the centre.

Tim’s Tudor infantry now took full occupation of the woodland and started to push units around the left flank of my infantry. I pulled my infantry further back in response leaving just enough units forward to protect the left of Chris’s longbow which were next engaged in a shooting match as the Tudor bow advanced against them.

Tony advanced the Lancastrian heavy cavalry further around the Tudor left wing and in response the Tudor heavy cavalry finally moved from the centre to confront them. With the escarpment acting as a bastion against any attack by Tudor cavalry against our centre Chris was able to engage in shooting match of attrition against the Tudor longbow. The longbow units of both sides soon thinned as the casualty trays filled.

The heavy cavalry units of both sides finally collided and with shooting support from the escarpment Tony’s cavalry eventually gained the upper-hand. Tim’s infantry was still fighting to outflank my infantry but was only making slow progress. However, in the centre a gap had appeared in the Tudor centre into which I was able to advance two units of dismounted me-at-arms and a general and attack the remnants of the Tudor longbow.

The epic cavalry battle had by now turned decisively in favour of Tony’s Lancastrians and with Chris and my infantry finally pushing back the Tudor infantry in the centre things weren’t looking very healthy for the Tudors who lost their second general. The remaining Tudor infantry in the centre were trapped between Tony’s cavalry and our advancing infantry. Tim’s Tudor bill units were still pushing my infantry back on our extreme left but the Lancastrian infantry from the centre and victorious cavalry would soon remedy this problem! The result was a hard fought Lancastrian victory in just under 2 hours.

Game analysis.
This Lancastrian win was a much closer game than the swift Tudor victory in the first game. After my awful performance in the first game I was a good boy, followed orders and played a much more cautious game. Chris wore down his longbow opponents in the centre but not without considerable sacrifice, and Tony did what Tony does with cavalry – look patiently for the right opportunity and strike quickly at just the right time!
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk