Raging Empires - Rules Question

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
Bill7

Raging Empires - Rules Question

Post by Bill7 »

Hi,
I recently downloaded a draft copy of the Raging Empires rules. I've been reading them over and have a question about the two diagrams at the bottom of the page in the Zone of Control section (Page 11). What are the diagrams used for? One is labeled "Unit Facing Hex Side" and the other is labeled "Unit Facing Hex Point". The answer may be right in front of me but I'm just not seeing it. Any help would be appreciated!
Tnx,
Bill S...
Rma295

Re: Raging Empires - Rules Question

Post by Rma295 »

Hi Bill, I think they are meant to show flank, front, and rear facing for a unit in the hex either facing a hex spine or hexside
Cheers
Ray
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Hi Bill,
The facing within the hex really doesn't matter for infantry stands which can move and shoot in any direction without a movement penalty. The zone of control prevents enemy units from passing through - they must stop on entering the enemy ZOC.
Movement for mounted troops requires the expenditure of one hex of movement when about turning or mounting and dismounting, in which case the original direction of facing is important.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Bill7

Post by Bill7 »

Ray & Paul,
Ahh... that makes sense. I just downloaded the R.E. rules recently and we haven't yet had a chance to play them. Since I didn't see any traditional "flank" and "rear" unit facing in them I wasn't sure why the diagrams were in there or their context. Got it now. Thank you very much for the replies. We've played Hordes and Heroes a couple of times (love it) so we're really looking forward to a WW1 game.
Thanks again!
Best regards,
Bill S...