Raging empires game size.

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
Sean Clark

Raging empires game size.

Post by Sean Clark »

Hi!

A quick question on game size. Your demo games are always pretty spectacular in there size. I was in awe of your Somme game at Salute. An impressive amount of figures on the table and you can see why the First day was so bloody with the dense mass of British troops advancing on the intact German positions.

For my own purposes at home I have a standard 6x4 set up. What size game would you recommend to give a good feel for the rules and the period? I'm just about to get started on my late war figures and I'm looking at Passchendale as my frame of reference.

Obviously it will be a small aspect of the battle but.am I looking at being able.to play at brigade level in the space I have and do the rules cater for this level of game?
"Woe to those who began this war if they were not in bitter earnest".
Mary Chestnut
Paul K

Re: Raging empires game size.

Post by Paul K »

Hi Sean,

The raging empires system can cater for games involving a single battalion on one or both sides, all the way up to brigade or even division level encounters.

For a Passchiondale game a full strength British battalion would be represented by 16 stands (16 platoons, approx 1000 men) of infantry plus HMG sections provided by the Machine gun corp. A 6ft by 4ft table would accommodate many battalions but a localised action involving one or two would provide for an entertaining game. The position and number of German HMGs and the effectiveness of artillery support for either side would have a big impact on the game.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Sean Clark

Re: Raging empires game size.

Post by Sean Clark »

Excellent. I'll look to try and sort some lists out. Is the QRS available that you used for the Somme demo?
"Woe to those who began this war if they were not in bitter earnest".
Mary Chestnut