HHMF flyer queries

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
chintz

HHMF flyer queries

Post by chintz »

Hi, I hope someone can help me with some queries about the rules for flyers:

1 I'm guessing that flyers ignore all enemy non-flyer ZoCs, but I can't find it confirmed in the rules?

2 l'm confused about the rules regarding flyers exercising their own ZoC. If a flyer chooses to not engage an adjacent infantry unit, is the flyers ZoC active? Eg a flyer moves to immediately behind an enemy unit, but does not want to attack. The rules suggest that a flyer does not exercise its ZoC when it does not want to impede enemy movement, but this leaves me wondering if a flyer that does not to engage anyone adjacent to it has to fully suspend its ZoC?

Thanks for any assistance!
Paul K

Re: HHMF flyer queries

Post by Paul K »

Hi Chintz,
I agree that there needs to be more clarification in the rules in regards flyers zone of control. We have always played that flyers control the hex in which they stand and prevent any other units, friend or foe, from occupying the hex. They also prevent enemy units from passing through the hex but not friendly units. Apart from this occupied hex flyers exercise no ZOC over the the surrounding six hexes. Enemy units occupying these hexes cannot engage the flyers in hand-to-hand combat unless they choose to do so. The flyers can of course be targeted by shooters within the standard 2 hex range for shooting.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
chintz

Re: HHMF flyer queries

Post by chintz »

Thanks Paul. A house rule like that would certainly simplify some of the flyer interactions, but I guess it will also neuter the potential use of flyers to mess with the opponents lines of command, due to the minimal ZoC footprint.