Flyers and shooting in HHF

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
Ratty

Flyers and shooting in HHF

Post by Ratty »

Quick question,
Flyers can shoot over the heads of friendly ground units in front of them, however, if the flying unit was at altitude in front of the missile unit, can the shooters fire under the flyers at an eligible target. This arose in a recent game, but could be an issue as the flyers block the hex they occupy and therefore could deny attackers access to the missile troops behind,
Many thanks
dane

Re: Flyers and shooting in HHF

Post by dane »

Hi Ratty

Interesting one that no idea on the official ruling on this but if you where playing me it would depend on what the missile troops where armed with if they have Xbows our hand gunners I would say yes as they fire flat but bows at 2 hex range would fire in an arc with its high point in the Dragon hex
its the same problem they had with Helicopters in Vietnam stopping fire missions do to them been in the airspace the shells would be traveling through

Dane
dane

Post by dane »

Hi Ratty

Have got the official rule answer and it is yes all missile troops may shoot under flyers

Dane
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Hi Ratty,
This is an interesting issue for which there is currently no clear ruling. Because of the low trajectory of the various weapons I have always believed that it is right and fair to allow shooters to fire under friendly flyers. My conversations with longbow enthusiasts also back this view - the longbow was apparently far more effective at close low trajectory ranges.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk