WW1 - Raging Empires - Battalion Sizes?

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
von Klinkerhoffen

WW1 - Raging Empires - Battalion Sizes?

Post by von Klinkerhoffen »

Hi

This question is about your 'suggested' Unit compositions.

A British Infantry Battalion of the BEF in 1914 was made up of four companies, each divided into four platoons, and at full strength was 1,007 men.
The suggested strength of a BEF Infantry Battalion is 16 bases - equating to one base representing a platoon which works well.

A German Infantry Battalion in 1914 was also made up of four Kompanie, each divided into three Zug, and at full strength was 1,079 men
The suggested strength of a German Infantry Battalion is 18 bases, which divided by four gives you 4.5 bases a Kompanie or two of five bases and two of four bases?

The physical 'paper' strengths of each nations Battalions are roughly the same so I wondered why you had decided to make the German Battalion two bases larger? Why not make them 18 bases, or 20 bases like the Jäger Battalion?

I note though that a four base companies strength is the maximum 'stacking' per hex for infantry, which may be better for the company size?
von Klinkerhoffen
Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
Paul K

Re: WW1 - Raging Empires - Battalion Sizes?

Post by Paul K »

Hi,

The number of stands allocated to infantry battalions of the various nations was was decided using the standard army corp strengths of 1914 based on the information contained in 'The 1914 Campaign' publication by Daniel David 1987. The information contained therein gives a full 'on paper strength' of a British battalion as circ. 1000 men, German 1170, French 1200 and Belgian 1100. We decided to increase the strength of the French and German battalions to reflect this slightly lager number. In reality we fully accept that the actual strength of the battalion of any nation under battle conditions would be dependent upon a multitude of factors and would fluctuate significantly through sickness, casualties, arrival of replacements etc. The battalion sizes given in the army lists should only therefore act as a guide or starting point. These can be modified as required for any particular battle or scenario.

The same publication also gives the breakdown for the various cavalry divisions for 1914. According to this the German Jager battalions had a 'paper strength' of approximately 1300 with 6 heavy machine guns.

We have tried to increase or decrease the number of stands in of battalions by multiples of 2 rather than individual stands in part for simplicity but also in recognition of the fact that exact on paper numbers were very difficult to achieve in the field.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
von Klinkerhoffen

Re: WW1 - Raging Empires - Battalion Sizes?

Post by von Klinkerhoffen »

Paul

Thanks for your reply. I understand that deciding on strengths for things like this is not an easy one, and I just wondered if you were trying to 'show' something in the rules by having larger 'German' battalions.

I think my question came about because 18 was not, in base terms, divisible by four, so did not reflect the tactical structure. I do not want to sound petty but would want to be able to at least divide any 'German' battalion into four equal Kompanie.

As you say this is down to the individual and I think, for now at least, I will try Battalions of 16, like the British. :?:
Who knows, after playing a few times I could find myself going back to 18, or maybe 20? ;)

Again thanks for your reply. :)
von Klinkerhoffen
Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!