Question about woodland

Discussions about Kallistra's Hex Based Rules
creosoto

Question about woodland

Post by creosoto »

Hi,

I would like to request clarification about hand-to-hand combat in woodlands: the rulebook says "No impact bonus for attackers or defenders in hand-to-hand combat" (page 8). Is this applicable only to troops inside woodlands?
For example, when one infantry which is outside a woodland is attacking another infantry which is inside a woodland, do they both loose impact bonus?

Thanks and best regards
Paul K

Re: Question about woodland

Post by Paul K »

creosoto wrote: I would like to request clarification about hand-to-hand combat in woodlands: the rulebook says "No impact bonus for attackers or defenders in hand-to-hand combat" (page 8). Is this applicable only to troops inside woodlands?
For example, when one infantry which is outside a woodland is attacking another infantry which is inside a woodland, do they both loose impact bonus?
Yes, both units, inside and outside lose impact bonus. This important aspect of the rules enables 'lesser quality' units to 'ambush' units such as armoured cavalry and fight on more favourable terms. If the cavalry occupy the woodland hex they would also fight as if disrupted in that they cannot count their number of stands in hand-to-hand combat.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
creosoto

Post by creosoto »

Thanks for the clarification!
However my understanding is that cavalry has to be considered as if disrupted also attacking from outside woodland, because the rules says "Mounted troops fight as if disrupted when attacking or occupying a woodland hex".
In this case they would fight as disrupted + they would loose their impact bonus: overall almost a massacre for them! :)
Or am I wrong?
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

creosoto wrote:However my understanding is that cavalry has to be considered as if disrupted also attacking from outside woodland, because the rules says "Mounted troops fight as if disrupted when attacking or occupying a woodland hex".
In this case they would fight as disrupted + they would loose their impact bonus: overall almost a massacre for them!
My mistake, you are correct! We've been working on the 2014 update of the rules in which we have addressed a number of issues raised by players - this being one of them. Many people expressed the view that the mounted troops were too heavily penalised when attacking woods and village/town hexes and that they should only 'fight as if disrupted' when actually occupying these hexes. We have been using this rule change in our test games and it has become prematurely hard-wired into my brain! I believe it does work more fairly - the mounted unit will often follow up into the wood hex after forcing a recoil and will then 'fight as if disrupted' in the next hand-to-hand combat phase.

I would welcome your input on this.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Gabz

Post by Gabz »

okay I will try out using the new way of doing it ( cav only disrupted when actually occuppying the woods hex ) if such a situation does occurr .