I have been busy drawing a map of Harlech castle for the siege of Harlech during the Wars of the Roses (1468) (using Kallistra). The castle was held by the Lancastrians for 7 years before it fell to the Yorkists. A siege memorialised in the song of Harlech.
I have managed to keep the round towers in a rectangular shape although the walls have had to follow the hexagons. Also I have had problems with the front Barbican - I would have liked it to been a main gate way but the alignment of the hexes prevented this and I have had to use the keep model. [It may be possible to realign the whole castle.]
- Now the hexes are aligned the other way so I can use the main arch as the Barbican for the front entrance.
- The main gate house has been replaced with two of the round towers which gives it the correct architectural feel in my opinion although of course that also means there is no door!
- Maybe it is possible to use some fimo to replace one of each of the two pieces which come with the round tower to create an arch between the two round towers.
- The Barbican of the real Harlech castle has two corbelled towers. These are two round towers on the main entrance of Harlech which stick out from the main gate. I have been unable to replicate this using Kallistra.
Another simpler version of Harlech castle for WOTR:
(1) My thoughts maybe the double wall is not needed for game play.
(2) HOUSE RULE - Siege rules should take into account that the castle is continually supplied from the sea (unless can be disrupted)
(3) Double sloped Kallistra round the castle - (do you think this is convincing enough in terms of height?)
(4) The Yorkists sieged the Lancastrian castle under Edward IV with 10,000 men. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlech_Castle
In the 15th century, Harlech was involved in the series of civil wars known as the Wars of the Roses that broke out between the rival factions of the House of Lancaster and York. In 1460, following the Battle of Northampton, Queen Margaret of Anjou fled to the castle and between 1461–68 it was held by her Lancastrian supporters, under the command of Dafydd ap Ieuan, against the Yorkist Edward IV.