Orcs versus Barbarians- Battle of Holden Pass

Post your Battle Reports here
Ratty

Re: Orcs versus Barbarians- Battle of Holden Pass

Post by Ratty »

The giants smash aside the archers and advance
The giants smash aside the archers and advance
The barbarian heavy cavalry threaten the ballistae, whilst the giants continue on
The barbarian heavy cavalry threaten the ballistae, whilst the giants continue on
The barbarians had made some headway, but it was now time for the orcs to retaliate.
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

The barbarian cavalry threat on the southern ridge was largely reduced, with just scattared combats being fought, and with the orc infantry and giants now firmly engaged in the pass, any flanking intervention would now be too late.
Scattered combats on the southern ridge, the danger to the orc flank was nullified
Scattered combats on the southern ridge, the danger to the orc flank was nullified
More orcs poured into the fight wherever possible, and suddenly the barbarians looked isolated and heavily outnumbered!
The mostly intact orc missile threat opened fire and targeted a heavy cavalry unit that had ploughed deep into the orc line. The unit was forced to recoil, but due to being in the midst of orc zones of control had nowhere to go and were wiped out much to Mark's shock.
The other heavy cavalry were forced to flee in the face of determined orc resistance.
The orcs bolster their line and prepare to see off the heavy cavalry
The orcs bolster their line and prepare to see off the heavy cavalry
The aftermath. The remaining heavy cavalry flee back up the northern ridge
The aftermath. The remaining heavy cavalry flee back up the northern ridge
However, the real damage was continuing to be dished out by the giants who ripped through the barbarians causing mayhem,
The giants smash the barbarian line
The giants smash the barbarian line
The casulaties sustained in this savage attack was enough to break the barbarians, who retreated with the remnants of their force, leaving Holden Pass to the victorious orcs.
The barbarians flee in the face of the overwhelming attack
The barbarians flee in the face of the overwhelming attack
Another great game and victory at last for the orcs!
Norm

Post by Norm »

Really nice sense of the 'massed battle'. I like the hill feature being something that you can form yourself, I sent off for some (level 2) slopes today, just to have a dabble at producing a long ridge.
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Thanks, I agree the hills are great and give plenty of options for layouts. I initially went for the level 1 slopes, but have since opted to use the level 2 slopes in general as they give a more clearly defined rise on the table.
Paul K

Post by Paul K »

Hi Ratty,

A brilliant and extremely well detailed and illustrated battle report. Many thanks for posting this epic, I've read through it twice now and it certainly was a humdinger of battle. It's great to see different unit types introduced into the Hordes & Heroes system, which is specifically designed as a flexible framework onto which players can add whatever elements they want to, and therefore, customise their games to suite their individual or group preferences.

I must write-up some battle reports - we've had dozens of great H&H games at the 'Outlaws' club over the few months. I do put a few photos of these games on the Kallistra facebook page but full battle reports like yours are far better.
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

The next battle in this sequence is now on the forum "The Battle of Long Ridge". This details the advance of the orcs along the ridge and their move into High elf territory. The orcs are heading for Caerfen, scene of a great defeat at the hands of the high elves (see the Battle of Caerfen" report), to exact their vengeance. Will the orcs be stopped from marching along the ridge, or will they be able to defeat the elves and sweep forward>