Oil / gas storage towers

For all your modelling and painting discussions
Norm

Oil / gas storage towers

Post by Norm »

Quick plonk down scenic. The towers are each built from 6 floor protectors (shown in picture 1) plus a cork protector on top and then 'runners' are just cut down section of plastic rod bought from a model shop.

The hex tile is a blank template from Kallistra. Ignore the cycle caps, they will become silo's or machinery in another feature. There are plenty of things on shop shelves that can go into the 'bits and bobs' box, to await a wargaming use!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Paul K

Re: Oil / gas storage towers

Post by Paul K »

Looks really good! Have you used textured paint on the base or some kind of decorators filler?
Kind regards
Paul

http://www.kallistra.co.uk
Norm

Re: Oil / gas storage towers

Post by Norm »

This is a standard mix that I use for all basing. I use a dollop of basing paste from 4Ground (probably something like a Tetrion filler would be similar), add small squeeze of Sap Green acrylic paint ( from Daler and Rowney Graduate paints), add a single drop of black paint from one of those cheap acrylic craft type paints and then I add a pinch of some horrible old green flock that I keep just for this job.

Mix it all up and get a light olive green mix. I apply it with an artists palette knife. I always put a dirty was on everything and that takes the filler a tone or two darker. It doesn't seem to shrink or crack and dries really quickly.